Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Youku.com, China's YouTube

So this is one of the reasons I haven't posted more in the past few days...or more the online reading I've been doing about the Olympics and China that lead me to the discovery of Youku. Somehow the videos on Youku fascinate me even though I can't understand more than the words "I" or "we."

Courtesy of Danwei.org, I found a roundup of recent Youku videos by Kaiser Kuo.

Here is my favorite so far.


Kuo explains that it is aerobics for salesmen.
People who work as salesmen for Chinese insurance companies have it rough. They're under constant pressure to sell, but as they're widely regarded as nuisances and frauds, they get a lot of doors slammed in their faces. To thicken their skin and build up that company spirit, aerobic exercise sessions are apparently common. And why not? Can you imagine anything that would inure you to shame more than having yourself filmed doing this ridiculous dance and having it viewed by 1.22 million people? Watch the skinny guy on the left as he loses it toward the end.
I think part of my fascination comes from hearing about my Emerson friends' experiences in their venues. The ones with Chinese supervisors have been involved in volunteer convocations and group Olympic cheers to raise teamwork spirit. I think I picture this as a less intense version of the salesmen aerobics. My supervisor is an Olympic and World Cup news service veteran from Australia, so we haven't experienced the same mystique of doing completely inexplicable work activities. Less confusing, but also fewer hilarious stories to tell.

While viewing the video above, I found a link to another, perhaps more outrageous, business "aerobics" session. This one takes longer to load, but I found it was worth the wait. The Chinese rock music made my day.



Clearly, though, the Chinese must also be entertained by these videos. The first one has been viewed more than 1.3 million times. The second one, over 225,000 times.

For more fun, do check out the video links and descriptions by Kaiser Kuo, linked above.

No comments: