Tuesday, July 22, 2008

All that Glitters Isn't Gold

And in lots of the markets around Beijing, it's probably not even gold plated. I've learned more about how to identify real goods here than I thought I would ever know...professors and classmates have taught me how to tell fake pearls and silk rugs from the real deal and how to tell if a designer dress is authentic but sold on the "black market" or a straight up fake.

Some of the fun of shopping, though, is buying the fakes for only a few dollars. Some of the girls have been snapping up imitation Coach and Dolce & Gabbana handbags, while others of us have been in love with the rip-off LeSportsacs. I found a great LeSportSac at the Pearl Market and bartered it down to a 60 yuan (or about $8.50) price. (Picture to come on google web albums.)

The best fake product stories I've heard come via New Balance purchases by my friends Jennie and Susie. Jennie's New Balance sneakers (about $7) have a tag on the inside of the tongue that reads something "Nike and the Swoosh logo are trademarked and are your assurance of quality." Yes, Nike is reassuring her about the quality of her New Balance shoes. Susie's New Balance shoes, though, come with more responsibility. Her shoes' tag says "Keep away from intense meat and hot vehicles." No one is sure exactly which meats are most intense and what happens if Susie's shoes are exposed to them.

No comments: