
I found a piece by the UK Daily Telegraph China correspondent Richard Spence about the BeijingAir pollution map I mentioned the other day. He explained the disconnect between the map's two levels of "good ratings" and the pollution I was noting on those days. Turquoise on the map, or the more polluted of the good ratings, actually fails the World Health Organization standards for air quality.
And the green level, which is on the lower half of the "medium pollution" section of the scale? Spencer explains:
On Saturday, the green that shows up means the Olympic Green will be "slightly polluted". Doesn't sound too bad, until you realise that means it has failed the government's own definition of acceptability.Youch! The Chinese government's level of acceptability is less stringent that the WHO's (apparently they were the same in 2001 when the Olympic Games were awarded to Beijing, but the WHO has reigned them in while Beijing has not) and still it is failing just days before the Olympics.
Spencer also points out that the health warnings on the BeijingAir site are telling. About a green level or "slightly polluted day," Spencer writes:
What does that mean for health? The health tab says that "slightly polluted" means: "People with heart disorders or pulmonary disorders should avoid physical exertion and outdoor activities." "Pulmonary disorders" would include asthma, I take it.This member of the general public has definitely dealt with a hoarse throat.
It also says that in these conditions "the general public will experience some irritation".
No comments:
Post a Comment