Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Invisible health care

Before Beijing, every city I have lived in or visited has been in the US, Canada, and Europe. And they all have a mass of ambulances and firetrucks flying through the streets at all hours of the day and night. Even if you're not outside, you hear the sirens a bunch. I think I've only heard sirens twice in the week that I've been in Beijing, both from my dorm room. So I don't know what type of sirens they were. Out walking around, I've only seen police cars, no ambulances or fire trucks. I've seen one or two police cars stopped with red and blue lights turned on, but no sirens. I don't know if this has just been very strange timing on my part or if ambulances don't commonly rush to people's aid. Perhaps people make their way to hospitals on their own, in cabs, or in police cars?

I also have not seen a single pharmacy. I don't know where they hide them! No green crosses hanging on the streets like in Europe, no pharmacies in the back of large grocery stores like in the US. And as far as I know, I haven't seen a traditional Chinese medicine shop, either. I know it would be harder to recognize one since I can't read Chinese characters. But so many stores that we've passed are recognizable as to what they sell by window displays, signs with pictures, etc.--restaurants and stores are especially obvious--plus many have a sign in English. I did see one intriguing mystery store or office the other day that had covered windows and no good view into the inside. It had a bunch of potted plants outside creating a pathway to the door. I couldn't see in the door because of the plastic strips hanging from the top of the doorway to the ground. These are very common here and make me feel like I'm walking into a meat cooler (if they're clear plastic) or a junior high school dance (if they're green.)

I did see one traditional medicine research center--I think it was the China Academy of Traditional Chinese Medicine. I've also seen one hospital in the embassy district, and possibly one other in another part of the city.

I'm hoping to ask some of the Chinese students who are also volunteers about all this--how often, when, and how people here go to the hospital, doctor, etc. When and where do they buy medicine or supplements? Will keep you all posted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha! I just went through some of your books on Goodreads...it was funny to see the ones you added on the same day. Like assigned reading (I hope) and all those great young adult books (which I need to start collecting, huh?). I don't have a thingy set up but I certainly will. Must resist the temptation now because I will be at it for the rest of the day! Oh, and I must tell you that Nick tried out the latest Origami book. His "status message" on Yahoo IM is "Origami Dojo Manager" so I guess he's enjoying it.

I didn't do very well on the quiz. I should probably grab one of the many books on China you added to the list. Anxious to hear about your first karaoke experience...